Share
Special Refund Under Section 190, Goods and Service Tax Act 2014

Special Refund Under Section 190, Goods and Service Tax Act 2014

a. The Goods and Services Tax (GST) was introduced on 1st April 2015 to replace the sales and service tax. To avoid double taxation, a special refund was allowed for sales tax imposed on goods held on hand on 31st March 2015. The claim for special refund must be made within 6 months from 1st April 2015. Until the due date (i.e. 30th September 2015), the Royal Malaysian Customs Department (RMCD) received a total of 2,540 applications for goods held on hand valued at RM13.255 billion with special refund claims amounting to RM732 million.

b. Audit carried out between October 2015 to January 2016 revealed that generally the special refund scheme has been conducted properly in accordance to subsection 190(1) of GST Act. However, there were some weaknesses as follows:

i. inefficient management of special refund claims where: • as at 31st May 2016, a total of 1,863 (73.3%) applications has been processed and the 19 remaining 677 (26.7%) applications has yet to be processed involving claims amounting to RM555.86 million. From the total applications that has been processed, 1,217 (65.3%) applications has been approved with refunds amounting to RM102.71 million while 646 (34.7%) applications has been rejected involving claims amounting to RM73.43 million; and • a total of 95 (27.5%) applications out of 346 audit samples took more than 14 working days to process, resulting in delays between one to 72 days.

ii. there were some lax in the reviewing and approving process of 13 (3.7%) applications out of 346 audit samples where a sum of RM0.59 million was erroneously approved.

2 Comments on this Post

  1. Anonymous

    In April 2015, GST has been implemented and this is one of the income to the government of Malaysia and one of the source to pay the National debt of Malaysia. As mentioned by The Royal Malaysian Customs Department at the end of Year 2015, RM 30billion is collected from the implementation from 1st April 2015. However, our national debt still increasing from Year 2015 to January 2017. it increase from 850,000 million in year July 2015 to RM approximately RM 920,000 million in Jan 2017. This has shown that, GST wasted money and effort of the people in whole Malaysia due to Government fail to manage this income.

    Reply
  2. Jessica

    Mydin managing director Datuk Ameer Ali Mydin said with the GST, it can promote the activity of import of goods as well as encourage more business for local banks. He said that the invoice issued after the implementation of GST is also more transparent than ever before implementation. “In the past, sales tax is 10 percent, now it abolished and excise taxes also almost nothing, and traders can also recover input tax. “It is thus encouraging decline in prices,” he said at the forum Competition Asia and the Role of Small and Medium Enterprises (SMEs), organized by the US-ASEAN Business Council her Also present were US Ambassador to ASEAN, Nina Hachigian; SME Corporation Chief Executive Officer Datuk Hafsah Hashim; Chief Executive Officer of the Malaysian Innovation Agency, Mark Rozario; Chief Executive Officer of the State, P & G Malaysia, Singapore and Brunei, Nicholas de La Giroday and Head of Government Relations eBay Inc. Singapore, Wee Choo Hua. In the meantime, Ameer said Mydin in order to compete with leading retailers to another, it is considering an approach for introducing systems for online purchases to their customers. “Right now Mydin has not applied such a system, perhaps in the future,” he said.

    Reply

Leave a Comment